16 January, 2009

Moroccan Street Food (xposted to 33eats)

We've been sampling Moroccan street food, usually our lunch fare after class.  No pics yet, but I'm working on it.  So far we've had b'sarra, which is a Fassi specialty (from Fes).  It's a white bean soup with olive oil and garlic and served with fresh, hardy bread.  It's about 6 Dh which is less than a dollar.  And includes wormwood tea - yes, the same stuff absinthe is made out of.  Addis is currently Aaron's favorite: it's a bowl of lentils with bread and tea and goes for 8 Dh ($1).  We've also tried their version of hummus, which is really just unmashed chickpeas that have been cooked with spices (served with bread and tea).  That's also 8 Dh.  The other day I splurged and ordered tajine.  Tajines are ceramic conical dishes that you bake meat, couscous, whatever in.  At restaurants (even side cafes), they usually just use a big pot and ladle it into a tajine for serving.  Tajines are really single or double serving and used at home.  Anyway, I had chicken tajine which was chicken so moist and seasoned... with carrots and potatoes cooked in the chicken juices.  Mmmmm.  The first day we went, a large group of us ate so they brought out free sides like Moroccan salad, fried eggplant, and an eggplant tomato mash-up.  I really wish that they brought that to us all the time.  It makes them look good to have a table of foreigners sitting in front of their stall, so they keep plying you with treats to get you to stay.  And I don't think we were charged for any of it other than the main dish, which usually comes out to a dollar.  I think the tajines are a whopping 13 Dh, but a nice change (especially because they have meat).  It's always fun trying to talk to the people their in a mix of Fusha, Dareeja, French, and English.  I think I might put my old pocket Minolta in my purse so that I can more surreptitiously take photos rather than using my big new Nikon SLR.

No comments:

Post a Comment