22 April, 2009

Moroccan Sushi and Generic Update, Cross Posted to 33 Eats




Months ago, I promised pictures of Moroccan sushi (it gave me a legitimate excuse to go back and spend tons of money on happy happy fish!).  The only problem is that they still did not have tuna: "Tomorrow, in sha Allah."  Well, as a result I had to try the King Crab Roll, which consisted of oodles of crab.  That's it.  Crab.  

Crab and me, we go way back, but this was a bit too much crab for Miriam.  I've finally found a point where I had enough crab.  The salad was interesting, and it was certainly a relief to have a dressing that wasn't just watered-down mayonnaise.  It was a wasabi vinaigrette and there wasn't any lettuce, instead shredded carrots and cabbage, but they were in strips that were so long that they wrapped around the bowl and were difficult to navigate into our mouth's without flinging dressing on our shirts.  The ambiance was unparalleled modern chic in Fes, where most expensive restaurants emphasized the Moroccaness of their features as opposed to contrasting it.  



I have since moved to Oman and live an hour and a half away from Dubai and Abu Dhabi.  The culinary opportunities are much greater there, but most of the fine restaurants are at hotels and are beyond the reach of a student's budget.  We did have amazing catered Chinese appetizers at a US Dept of Commerce function, though.  Can't remember the restaurant, but ... I thought I saved a cocktail napkin.  Most restaurants in town are very inexpensive Lebanese, Syrian, or Indian places.  I have been meaning to do a couple write-ups on them.  First, I had to put my house in order!  The most recent food events have been the weekly dinners hosted by one of our group of students.  We have had Nepalese food, Philipino and Thai food (that was me, of course), Chicken Alfredo, Breakfast-for-Dinner, Variations on Chicken with Bros. Special Sauce, Biryani, and tonight Aaron whipped up some amazing vegetable lasagna which is a departure on his vegan-matzoh lasagna.  We will be going to Jordan, and possibly Kenya and Tanzania, where I will most definitely have things to report!  Food!  Happy feasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment